Interesting gate crashing activities
You can hear the guys sigh from a mile away while the jie meis snigger in the corner – all ready for that beautiful torture session that bruise egos all for the sake of winning the bride over. At Knotz, we believe that while it is all in the name of fun, sometimes these little pranks and activities can get a little out of hand. And we really don’t want our groom and his boys to be vomiting on their new shirts, or suffer from a pulled muscle for doing extremely strenuous workouts (because that would really spoil the entire day). So what can you, as jie mei do to make it challenging for the groom and groomsmen, yet not completely humiliating and poisoning them? We have some super cool ideas to share with you.
To win her heart, you need to make her some food! Challenge the groom to prepare a 2 course meal to be completed in 30min with his groomsmen acting as the sous chef and kitchen assistance. The meal needs to not only taste good, but the presentation must also be on point. Jie Meis will be the judges for the meal. Fun tip! Prepare cute and funny aprons for them! It protects their shirts and can also look pretty entertaining on camera.
How to prepare:
- Research recipes online that can be completed in 30min
- Prepare and shop for ingredients
- If you’re nice, measure out the ingredients required for fast and easy cooking
- If you’re not so nice, have the groomsmen do the chopping and cutting of ingredients
Unleash your inner Picaso
Give the groom and groomsmen 10min to do a painting of the blushing bride. But here’s the twist – it has to be based off their own memory! It will be interesting to see what are some of the things they remember about the bride. Is it the bright smile, or big eyes? Who knows?
How to prepare:
- Prepare canvas, paintbrushes, and paint
- Set up on the morning of the wedding
How well do you know your bride
This is a classic gatecrashing activity. It shows how much the groom understands the bride. The classic way would be a 10 question quiz which the groom will need to answer and get at least 8/10 correct before proceeding to the next activity.
- When did you first meet the bride?
- Where did you bring her to on your first anniversary?
- What was the first gift she bought for you?
- When is your anniversary date (trick question – it’ll be the day of the wedding!)
- What is her favourite food?
- What is her favourite colour?
- What is her favourite hobby/pastime?
- When was the first time you held her hand?
- How tall is the bride?
- Which household chore does she like the least?
10 reasons why
Another classic. Give the groom 2 min to state 10 legitimate reasons why he loves the bride. Groomsmen are allowed to help share ideas. Answers that seem superficial like “Because she’s pretty” will not be accepted. Remember, it has to come from the heart.
Write a poem
Unleash the inner shakespeare by giving groom and groomsmen 10min to write a love poem. It can be as simple as “roses are red, violets are blue” or a complex one that is completely original. Here’s a twist to make it even more challenging: Prepare keywords that represents the bride for the groom and groomsmen to incorporate into the poem.
Start a band/Play an instrument
This will be a fun one! Instead of having to just sing a love song, give the groom and his buds that once in a lifetime chance to start a band! It can be an acapella boy band or a rock band with instruments. Not to worry about the instruments though, you can always grab anything around the house to make some noise!
Things to prepare:
- Research on a love song you’d like them to sing
- Prepare “musical instruments”. This can be pots and pans around the house, or plastic toy trumpet and recorder from your nephew’s toy stash.
- Give the groom and groomsmen 10min to plan and prepare the song before their final performance.
Change the Lyrics
Another music related activity! This time, groom and groomsmen will have to change the lyrics of a song and make it into an original for the bride. Groom and groomsmen will have 5min to select an appropriate song, 10min to change the lyrics, and another 10min to perform. The song does not have to be complete. Just the first verse and the chorus will suffice.
Lip Sync battle
Arguably one of the most watched performances on Jimmy Fallon. Challenge your groom and groomsmen to a lip sync battle where jie meis will have to pick a song for the boys to lip sync and dance to. Give the boys 15min to prepare and perform.
Here are some suggestions:
- I will always love you by Whitney Houston
- Don’t Stop Believin by Journey
- Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen
- When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge
- My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
- My Girl by The Temptations
- If I Were a Boy by Beyoncé
- Ain’t No Other Man by Christina Aguilera
- Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen
- A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton
- Lady Marmalade by Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya, Pink
- I Want It That Way by The Backstreet Boys
- Bang Bang by Jessie J, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj
- I Swear by All-4-One
- I’ll Make Love To You by Boyz II Men
- She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5
- Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
- When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars
- Wannabe by Spice Girls
- Thinking out loud by Ed Sheeran
Do I look fat in this dress?
Groom will have to guess which clothes belong to his bride. This would test his knowledge on her fashion style, as well as how observant he has been over the last few years.
How to prepare:
- Have all the jie meis prepare 1-2 sets of clothes (up to 5, and loose fitting if possible), It can be as harmless as a blouse, or as raunchy as lingerie. Your choice.
- Prepare 5-10 outfits from the bride’s wardrobe
- Present the 2 outfits (one from the bride, the other from a jie mei) for the groom and groomsmen to choose
- If the answer is wrong, they will have to put on the outfit.
Possibly the most heartfelt and loving activity, have the groom design and put together a bouquet of flowers for the bride. This could be the last activity of the day. The flowers can be used as the actual bouquet for the wedding, or tossed to the next lucky bridesmaid.
How to prepare:
- Buy fresh flowers (4-5 varieties, mixture of small, large, and filler flowers)
- Buy wrapping paper and twine
Do you have more gatecrashing game ideas? Let us know in the comment box below! If you are looking for an actual day wedding photographer to capture these once in a lifetime moments, head on to our website to check us out!